PSU is governed by a twelve member team of pharmacists with the secretary and treasurer being ex officio members, four members appointed by the Minister of Health and the six elected at society’s annual general meeting every four years.
The president and vice president are elected from among its members.
Mandate of the Council
The Council is mandated under Section 21 of the PDA (1970) of the constitution of the Republic of Uganda with ensuring the highest practicable standards in the Practice of Pharmacy. It is the duty of the council to:
- Regulate the practice by Pharmacists and their assistants in Uganda
- Arrange for the qualifying examination of persons intending to become members of the society and intending to Practice as Pharmacists in Uganda
- Accredit training institutions and approve courses of study for Pharmacy students
- Maintain and publish a register of pharmacists;
- To supervise and regulate the training,internship and transfer of pharmacy students and to make provision for the registration of students;
- To specify the class of persons who shall have the right to train pharmacy students and specify the circumstances in which any person of that class may be deprived of that right;
- To maintain a library of books and periodicals relating to pharmacy and allied subjects and to encourage the publication of such books; and
- To encourage research in the subject of pharmacy and chemistry and generally to secure the well-being and advancement of the profession of pharmacy.
- Operate a scheme (If needed) for the purpose of aiding distressed pharmacy students, members or former members of the society, their widows or orphans.